Sunday, June 10, 2007

A-Muse Design Challenge #6: Heat It Up (#5)


This is my favorite, non-girly birthday card design. It's simple but still wows people. But, in honesty, I confess... until about 2 minutes ago, I didn't realize that this slice of cake was an A Muse stamp. Silly me!

I like to use a textured, but plain background paper. This one looks like brushed suede. Then comes the cake! I learned this technique at a class in San Antonio (at Stamp Antonio, a great stamp store!). Stamp the image on watercolor paper using a dye ink (I like Memory pads for this). On back side, slightly dampen the paper so it's moist. On front again, use the stylist to outline the shape. Flip to backside again and "push" the image out using stylist or bone folder.

After you've got it good and raised, use cotton or tissue to stuff the image a bit and secure with double-sided tape to second small piece of card stock.After that process, you can color and emboss the image. I used black diamond on the cake and gold detail on the candle. Here's a close-up though I'm not sure you can see it any better in this picture.

The special delivery is in treasure embossing powder. Finally, love those brads from Joanns... but only when on sale of course! ;)

No comments: